Apart from annual celebrations like Christmas and Salah, ingredients like mayonnaise is one of the things most people shop for. The demand is somewhat high as it is mainly used for making your salads, although some people eat it with bread. You can actually make your mayonnaise at home without using the regular ones in the market. So, if you’re ready, here are steps on how to make homemade mayonnaise.
Mayonnaise is a multipurpose ingredient. At times, it is better to prepare it in your own way. The ingredients to use are easy to sort. With the right steps, you can make mayonnaise without mustard just with a blender, whisk, and your container, your homemade mayonnaise is ready.
Ingredients for your homemade mayonnaise.
- Lemon juice
- Essential oil
- Bowl for mixing
Directions on how to make mayonnaise at home
(1) Assemble all your ingredients, the whisk, a bowl for mixing, and a blender
(2) Separate the yolk from the white as the egg white can serve another purpose
(3) Put fresh lemon juice in a bowl with egg yolk and whisk it well. The essence of using the egg yolk is because it contains a natural emulsifier, lecithin, which helps to thicken and make a mixture get risen.
(4) Now, add a few drops at a time, pour the oil into the bowl while constantly whisking. Once the mayonnaise starts to thicken, pour the oil in a slow and steady stream. If the oil starts to build up/rise, stop pouring and whisk the mayonnaise energetically until the oil has mixed properly.
(5) If the mayonnaise begins looking excessively thick, add enough water to thin it to the consistency you like. Add about a teaspoon of water at a time.
6) Once all the oils are mixed, the mayonnaise should be thick, with your whisk shaping strips through the combination, carefully season it with fine grain salt. Add a small splash of water if you like thin mayonnaise.
- Wash the eggs properly and break in a blender.
- Add salt, any essential oil, preferably, olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar and mix the mixture for 10 seconds and stop when you make the mixture a little plain.
- Pour it in a blender until you get the desired consistency. Keep mixing for another 20 seconds until all the ingredients are well absorbed.
- Pour into a transparent bowl and your homemade mayonnaise is ready for use.
While making your mayonnaise and you see that the mixture becomes too thick, add a few drops of vinegar/lemon juice to make it a little thinner, and keep stirring until smooth and you have reached your desired thickness.
Please note: Homemade mayonnaise can last for 1 week, but it is recommended that you use it in three days and also store in the fridge and if the mayonnaise comes out a bit watery, you just need to add 1 egg yolk to the new bowl, until it gets fluffy. Whisk and then add a small portion of mayonnaise, until you reach your desired thickness.